Wednesday 4 December 2013

OIL PULLING



I wanted to share my latest addition to my morning routine: oil pulling. There's been quite a lot of talk about this ancient Ayurvedic method for oral health, detoxification and rejuvenation in various blogs, websites and social media. So what is oil pulling? It's simply using an oil as a mouthwash. The process of swishing oil in your mouth attracts and removes bacteria, toxins and parasites. Apparently this practice whitens teeth, clears up acne and can lead to a healthy and glowing complexion.

Sounds bizarre, I know but I'm giving it a try! So far my gums, mouth and lips feel hydrated and my teeth are very shiny.  

Here's what I do:

First thing in the morning before I brush my teeth or eat anything I put a tablespoon of cold-pressed, unrefined oil in my mouth. I've been using coconut oil, but apparently a lot of people use sesame and sunflower oil. I swish it around in my mouth and push it and pull it through my teeth for about 10-15 minutes. Then I spill it all out and the oil should now have a milky, watery texture. That's your reference you've done it properly. Remember not to swallow! The oil will be filled with toxins once pulled. Then I rinse my mouth with salty water followed by a normal brush.

One way to get me very quiet while preparing breakfast for the family!

Heidi x


4 comments:

  1. I have just been reading about this method. I'm going to give it a try. My coconut oil is hard so I am wondering how I will swish it around but I suppose it will melt in my mouth. Strangely nervous about this new adventure! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you'll have to chew it for a while so it melts ;-) Don't be nervous- your teeth will be thankful lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Me too. I think it's a good start for the day ;-) Do you feel a difference?

    ReplyDelete