Sunday 22 September 2013

ANTIBES, MICHAELANGELO


The summer just gone was my sixth one spent in the lovely South of France. The one restaurant I've been going to since the first summer and the one I've been to by far the most is an Italian restaurant Michaelangelo. Michaelangelo is located on a little back alley in Antibes old town. It's unlikely that you'd just happen to wander past it so you must know about it and a lot of people do... It's always busy. The restaurant is cosy with its stone walls and dim lighting. (By the way I LOVE dim lighting, it immediately puts me off if I walk into a restaurant that has its lighting too bright.) Michaelangelo also has a big outdoor terrace. I normally prefer the inside for the atmosphere but the outside if I'm having an early dinner with the kids. It's a family run restaurant and the owners are always present, greeting their customers. The smiley guy in the picture is Michael, the owner's son. A very nice young man indeed!









This is their melanzane alla parmigiana, one of my favourite starters there. The other winner is farciti farci (vegetables stuffed with veal.)



My favourite main dishes at Michaelangelo are risotto with scallops and prawns, baby chicken and tournedos rossini ie. beef with foie gras (in the above picture). I wouldn't recommend the latter unless you're hungry... it's seriously filling. My stomach always has space for it though, it's too yummy to say no to! Their desserts are also heavenly, to mention a couple the meringue cake and the triple chocolate mousse...




You can't leave Michaelangelo without checking out the their impressive collection of pictures of the owners posing with celebrities who have dined there. They have Jay-Z, Beyonce, Rihanna, Robert De Niro, Harrison Ford and tens of others hanging on their walls. The last celebrities I spotted there were Emma Stone with her spiderman! Lucky them got seated next to us and got to experience my Australian friend being (apparently...) very Australian (and maybe a tiny bit tipsy) and asking for a picture. Not embarrassing at all! :-) She didn't get one... (Sorry K, I think they should have said yes too!) 

Michaelangelo's website can be found here.


Minna x

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back what a gorgeous fun filled summer you had. Great to see you are back working. Have lovely week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Inge and nice to hear from you! Have a lovely week over in Ireland too!

      Delete
  2. It's really nice to read your blog again and I totally understand that you don't want to write with two languages anymore, I wouldn't do that. Luckily we here in Finland understand English too :) Your summer seems so nice and relaxing and after these posts I always dream of traveling to French Riviera, never been there, don't know why actually... I've just always thought that Italy would be the place for me, hmmm is there a big difference? I assume there is. For some reason I also think that now that I don't have kids yet, it's important to visit New York as often as possible :))

    Btw your hair looks really good now, I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought; all Finns tend to speak very good English. You should definitely try France! It is different to Italy, I love them both. And don't even mention New York it's now been two years and looks like I won't be able to go before the end of this year either... So yes, go as often as you can pre kids ;-)

      Thank you. Color is not quite there yet... slowly but surely :-)

      Delete
  3. LOVE the wooden fence/walls. Looks like it is gorgeous there! And I've read more than once that Emma doesn't like to take pics so tell your friends it wasn't him/her. ha ha!

    XOXO, Jenn
    The Stylish Housewife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh have you, haha, that's good to know! Will tell her! xx

      Delete